01 02 03 Coffee Before Crayons: 4th of July Memories 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

4th of July Memories

34
What a great LONG weekend! I could get used to only working 3 days a week. Our 4th of July weekend consisted of a lot of playing and relaxing.
Last week I went shopping after work one day and I found hubby a very nice leather La-Z-Boy recliner which I pre-approved to live in our home. He went Friday to sit in it. He liked it and bought it so AG and I went to "the lazy man store" (her words, not mine) and picked it up on Saturday. She now calls it "daddy's lazy man chair". I couldn't be more proud. After that adventure, I went to Ashley Furniture to check out their sofa selection fully expecting to not like anything as much as what I'd already found at Rooms To Go. I was pleasantly surprised to find a sofa and love seat that I loved and the price turned out to be just as good as RTG! Now I just need hubby to go check it out and the budget to allow for us to make this purchase. Until then we will take turns in the lazy man chair.
Hubby had to work Sunday so AG and I had one of my friends and her baby come over to play in the afternoon. This meant that the morning was devoted to tidying up the house, which I was planning to do anyway so it worked out. Because I am an awesome friend, I braved the heat of the attic to retrieve some of AG's baby toys that were up there before the flood. I broke a sweat as soon as I climbed the ladder because it was approximately 473 degrees in our attic. But it was so worth it. Baby E loved the toys and they got to take the scooter (what we called her walker) home for her to play in. I wasn't sure what I would end up doing with all of those toys after their visit but AG has had more fun playing with them now than she did as a baby.
Monday was the actual holiday and I started the day with a festive brunch of blueberry cream cheese danishes. I followed this recipe from Kraft and I love how cute they turned out! And I'll let you in on a little secret... there is NO way the ones that are in the photo on the Kraft page are actually cooked all the way. These babies took quite a while to cook. 



We played most of the day. I went to the grocery store and spent way too much money. In my defense, Publix lured me in with all their deals and I probably won't need to go again for a couple weeks. When I got home I actually highlighted all of the extras on my mile long receipt to justify it. "Look honey! I got all these GREAT deals! and if I hadn't gotten them my total would've been in normal range!" It's all in how you sell it. However, in this case he was not impressed.
Monday night we did fireworks at hubby's youngest brother's home. He put on an awesome show and AG had a blast with her cousins. This was her first fireworks experience and she was in awe! She would watch them go up and as they popped she would clap and say BOOM! BOOM!. It was a late night and even at 10pm on the way home, she was still talking about the fireworks.
Tuesday might be my favorite day of the whole weekend. I got to "sleep in" until about 8am and then made breakfast for my people. I even served watermelon alongside our breakfast sandwiches that I lovingly created. The morning is a blur. We mostly just hung out and played and lost track of time. During nap time I went to Hobby Lobby - by myself. It was so fun! I'll explain my project in a future post but just know that it was important enough to hubby that he didn't mind me going on my adventure at all. I also got a curtain rod so I'm hoping that by this coming weekend I'll have curtains at the front french doors so we can have some privacy again now that all the trees are gone. At night, you can see straight through our kitchen from the street, thankfully we live in the back of our neighborhood and on a cul-de-sac so traffic is minimal. After my HobLob excursion, we headed out to the deck to play in the pools. AG and I had so much fun splashing and "racing" each other. She beat me almost every time. According to her she had anywhere from 10-12 points and I only had 2. While we played, hubby finished staining the wood rack. It looks great and matches the deck now.
In other news I read a great book this weekend!
 It only took about 3 days because I'm such a veracious reader. I rarely read now because I know that when I start a book I could do nothing else but read and sleep until it's done. That's not practical in this stage of life so I try and stick to just a few books a year and mostly over long weekends. I love a good "chick lit" novel and give anything by Mary Kay Andrews a strong recommend.
I really don't know how I managed to sum up such a great long weekend in such a short post but those are the highlights. I hope you all had a safe and happy Independence Day too!

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38