01 02 03 Coffee Before Crayons: Water Water Everywhere 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Water Water Everywhere

34
Hi friends! As I sit here writing this post from my new love seat I can't help but feel thankful, and tired. I wanted to share with you all the exciting things that have been going on in our home over this last week. Let's start with the beginning.

Monday, 8/15 - Flood, round 2. This time it was not so bad. If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram you know what I'm talking about. It did not make for pretty pictures.


I came home after being away for about an hour Monday night to water in the garage from the wall that is shared with our kitchen. Knowing I left nothing on, I told AG she would need to wait in the car while I went in to figure out what was happening. I expected to find a leak under the sink but instead stepped over the threshold into over an inch of water. I could hear water coming out of the fridge so I sloshed over to it and opened the french doors to find out what was leaking. At first, water poured out of the doors, the next thing I knew, water was spraying at me from the filter. I initially tried to pull the fridge out of it's place to turn off the water valve located behind it. This was a no-go as the freezer and fridge drawer were both filled with water so it was super heavy. I immediately called hubby freaking out. He was also on his was home and bless him, he had just paid at WhatABurger and drove off before they could get him his food. (Don't worry, once we were settled, he went back and got us both food).

While we were on the phone he talked me through how to turn off the water to the house. Which is a handy skill that I needed to have anyway. Though I would've much preferred to learn it in boots and jeans and not pajama shorts and flip flops.

Thanks to our prior flood experience, we were well prepared to handle this and not forced to wait around on the emergency flood mitigation team to arrive. We used our big push brooms and shop vac and ALL the towels in the house. By the time DKI (our water clean up company) arrived, we had dried all of the obvious water and, thanks to my wonderful brother-in-law, our fridge had been dried out as well.


DKI came in about 10pm and pulled the baseboards and cabinet toe kicks. They had to drill holes in the cabinet base behind the pretty toe kicks and now it looks like my cabinets are sitting on a mouse village. They left us with a huge dehumidifier and 7 air mover fans. We basically lived in a wind tunnel for a week. Tonight is the first night we've had of quiet in a week and it is spectacular.


Tuesday of last week, 6 days ago, DKI returned and removed all of the flooring that had water under it. You could actually hear the water moving in a couple places when you walked on the floor. They ended up having to take apart and move the wood stove, all our new furniture was moved to a side of the living room space, and as I believe I've mentioned, there are holes in my cabinet toe kicks. I'm very thankful that the damage doesn't involve drywall this time. We've definitely had worse and at least we can live here during this. I'm trying to focus on that and not the fact that we will have to relocate all of our living and dining room furniture and replace all of our floors that aren't even 2 years old.


Right now we are in a holding period. DKI is done, the house is dry, and their equipment is out. The insurance adjuster has come and gone. He needs the report from DKI and then he will complete his report quickly and submit it to our insurance company who should then issue us our checks pretty quickly. Once we receive our dwelling check, our mortgage lender will be involved in releasing the funds to us as needed for repairs. The contents check is easier and comes made out to only us so we will be able to replace the items that were lost due to the water damage.

Hard to believe a simple little filter could cause so much damage.




Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38