01 02 03 Coffee Before Crayons: Budget Friendly Tips to Create a Cozy Home 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Budget Friendly Tips to Create a Cozy Home

34
I've been an official, out-of-college, adult for over 8 years. I'd like to share something new I've discovered. Hold onto your hats, this is a good one.

It's worth it to decorate and accessorize your home. It's worth the money. It's worth the time. It's worth screwing up and doing something you end up hating to learn from your mistakes and find what really works.

I always wanted our home to be beautiful and inviting and warm and cozy and all the things people want for their homes. For some reason I never could bring myself to spend the money and time and energy to make it happen.

When we were first married, funds were very limited so extras like a pretty accessory were not happening. Even if it was only a couple dollars, I would say "no" to it because it wasn't necessary to our daily life. Y'all, we didn't even buy paper towels during this time so how could I justify a pretty new frame or decorative anything?

Eventually, our income grew, as tends to happen over the years, but my frugal-to-a-fault mindset didn't budge. I still struggle with this today. But something did happen after the flood. I started blogging and reading blogs and I naturally gravitated toward blogs about budget home decor. I started sharing things I liked and ideas I had with hubby and he told me how he wanted our house to be well decorated and cozy. It was such an exciting conversation! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I also wanted free reign over our home's interior - this is still a work in progress. He really has great ideas and vision for our home too so I *usually* like to have his input. Honestly, sometimes it would be much easier if he were one of those husbands you hear about who lets his wife make all the decorating decisions without providing any input. But easy isn't always best and I like knowing that he both notices and appreciates my efforts in making our house a home.

I'm starting slowly with this new mindset and as much as I want to see our whole home done, where is the fun in that?! I'm going to embrace this journey from house to home. I'm starting to see the homey-ness already.

After dropping AG off for her first day of Kindergarten *sob*, I went to brunch and HobLob with some of my best gal pals who also happen AG's besties' moms. Coincidence? I think not, The Lord works in mysterious ways and I'm so thankful he brought us together! We shall call them "The Moms". Anyway, The Moms and I had so much fun shopping together. I got some cute things for our home and maybe a couple scarves and a gift or 2 for AG to celebrate her first day of big kid school.

Shout-out to whoever gave her this gift bag at her birthday party last Saturday! I've already reused it 3 times.

One of my new items was this woven tray. I knew right away it was exactly what I wanted for our remotes. On a previous trip to HobLob, I picked up the metal orb (which I adore! This one is similar) and the white vase with green plant. I wouldn't have even thought to put them on the table except that our bookshelf had been cleared off when they relocated it to remove our baseboards and these, along with other bookshelf contents, were lounging in their new residence on our bar.


I read somewhere (probably Pinterest) that to decorate most any surface you need 3 elements: a lamp - check, a green plant - check, and a stack of 2-3 books with an object on top of them - double check! This is so true and I didn't actually remember having read it until just now, sitting here, looking at the table in all it's cuteness. I think an important element to a cozy home that is often overlooked is adding textures. There's something about having interesting patterns and textures in a neutral color palette that is so inviting.

I'm still wanting to paint this table but can't decide on the color. Perhaps I should take my own advice and stop being scared to fail and just do it because really, if I don't like it I can repaint it.

The other item I scored was this tray that is perfect for our coffee area!


I have wanted a tray to corral our coffee, sugar, and filters for a while now but, as per usual, I was too scared to spend any money on something so frivolous and totally unnecessary. And this fear is totally in my own crazy head. I want to make sure you know, this is absolutely my own deal and hubby was happy I got things for our home. If anything, he's helping me get over this silliness by praising my decorating style and encouraging me to decorate our home. :)


You won't believe this part and I shouldn't tell you but I'm going to anyway... I found this cute little tray tucked under some things in the clearance section. It was part of their Spring collection and when I took it to the register, it rang up less than $2! You can imagine my delight! Moral of that story: pay attention to the tags and how they relate to the current seasonal merchandise at Hobby Lobby because they don't always mark every single item down. They are human and miss things here and there and you might score a great deal if you pay close attention to details.

As you can see, I still struggle with loosening up the purse strings when it comes to "extras" for our home but I am slowly getting better. I don't think I'll ever be one of those people who can walk into Pottery Barn and pay full price for something just because I like it. Though I certainly like to pretend I am when I visit their website. Theirs and Restoration Hardware - swoon! The fact of the matter is, I have a deep seeded need to save money and live frugally. I also love a good challenge and, for me, part of the fun of decorating our home on a budget is the thrill of finding something great for a fantastic deal. This seems to be trendy these days and for that I am grateful.


One last thing friends, I'm serious about painting that table. By all means, please leave me some ideas of what color would look best in the comments! Bear in mind that the living room rug will be changing soon. I'm trying to convince hubby that a natural jute rug would be best in here but he isn't feeling it. So far, we've been able to agree on a medium gray with a slight pattern. I'm feeling like that might be too much gray with his gray chair (coming next weekend!) Time will tell.


Labels: ,

35 36 37 38